Tuesday 31 August 2010

Stats and reality

Final bouldering days with Val at Paradise Valley.

I have now been home for a week now and well it feels like I have never been away. When you are away for a prolonged period of time you think that so much will have changed, but in reality nothing much does. Everybody just ticks along the same as normal. My friends children have all grown a few more inches, there are some new buildings and traffic systems around town but that is about it. I don't really know what I was expecting but you always imagine the world you normally live in speeding on without you, when in actual fact I have probably changed more than my surroundings.

My flight back flew from Vancouver via Frankfurt to Edinburgh. The long 10 hr part of this flight was possibly the worst flight I have ever been on. Not any fault of the airline, I just seemed to get airsick. I think it was a combination of a few things, sitting at the very rear of the plane, turbulence, and homecoming nerves. Whatever it was it made me very sick and my 3 hr stop over in Frankfurt felt more like 6. I eventually arrived back in Edinburgh around 6pm on the Tuesday evening to a wonderful greeting from Emma and Diff. It was wonderful to see familiar faces after all this time.

I can usually combat jet lag quite well but this time it got me good and it was not until last night that I had my first sound sleep. This pleased me no end as I was starting to get very weary of waking between 4am and 5am. Although this does have it's plus side if I want to chat to any of my friends who are about 7 or 8 hrs behind.

Now all I need to do is get a job! Although some of you think that I am slightly work shy these days I actually do enjoy the routine of work. The part I hate with a vengeance is CV and application writing and interviews. Euch! This part I am not looking forward to at all, but hey ho it has got to be done.

Anyway enough of reality. I will leave you with some final stats from my trip just in case anyone is interested.

I drove through or visited 21 US States.

I drove my Saturn 13326 miles/21447km in 6 months.

I slept on various sofas 56 times.

I slept in my car or tent for two thirds of the year.

I read 39 books in one year.

I went to the cinema 9 times.

I watched Zombieland at least 10 times.

I only had 3 injuries.

Wore out 2 pairs of 5.10 Anazazis.

Ate my body weight in peanut butter and corn tortillas.

Broke 3 sporks trying to get peanut butter out the jar before learning to use a metal spoon.

Climbed lots.

Had fun lots.

So my extremely awesome trip is all over but I will keep my blog updated with photos and any new adventures. Thanks to all of you that have followed my travels and read my chat.

Peace
xx



No comments: