Tuesday 2 March 2010

Go Canada

Big flag

Canada eh! I made it just in time to catch the end of the Winter Olympics. I arrived on Saturday to a very quiet Vancouver airport and caught the train downtown, from there I managed to lug my heavy bag, rucksack and boulder mat through the thronging crowds to the bus stop where I caught the bus to West Vancouver in order to meet my new hosts for the next few days.

Sunday was the last day of the Olympics and the big event of the day was the final of the men's ice hockey between Canada and the USA. Where would my allegiance lie? To be honest I was not too bothered but thought it would be good if Canada won since they were the host nation. Thankfully and not without a few nail biting moments they did. I took a trip to downtown Vancouver after the game to check out the party atmosphere and oh my goodness it was jumping. I have never seen so much red and white and heard so many car horns in my life. I soaked up as much of the excitement as I could, but after spending so much time in very quite corners of deserts recently it all got a bit too much for me and I retreated back to the comfort of the house and watched the closing ceremony from the couch.

Party

Olympic cauldron

Lots of people!

Bouncing snowboarder

Catching some air

Go Canada



Photographs by Caroline Harvey

2 comments:

Hazel said...

Wow! This looks like fun. Good timing Caro!
Miss you, keep in touch x

alpinedreamer said...

Awesome!!! xx